Every year at this time, we find ourselves looking back on the year that was, amazed at how fast time has gone by. We find ourselves reminiscing on the events of the year. The good, the mellow and the not so good. Here is a list of some of my most memorable moments in 2012.
1. I met Janine Jellars, editor of Seventeen magazine South Africa. I have no words to describe how much I admire this lady. She is such an inspiration to me. She is proof that having a good head on your shoulders does not mean that you cannot be cool and fun.
2. Meeting Bonang Matheba was so awesome. Sometimes we have preconceived notions on how a person is, based on what we see on television and what we read in the media. Meeting Bonang taught me that things are not always as they seem and that everyone should be given a fair chance before being judged.
3. I met one of my closest friends, Hope Ramphabana this year. I met Hope through Just Curious. I was going through a difficult time and she really helped me. We are inseparable now.
4. My first year of varsity has been a great learning experience. I have had to grow up a great deal in a short space of time, which was a challenge at first, but I am grateful for every challenge I have encountered.
1. Moving out of home and living on my own was, and still is, a challenge for me. Many good and bad things happened and though my mom was a mere phone call away, it was not the same as sharing it all with her and having her here to shelter me from the bad. A learning experience I am grateful for regardless.
2. I auditioned for Idols after saying I wouldn’t. I went there completely unprepared and as a result, I didn’t make it through. My self-esteem took a bit of a knock because I know I can sing better than most of the contestants that made it to theatre week. Hehehehe. I’m still deciding whether or not I am gonna audition next year.
1. I’ve always heard about crime, but I have never been a first hand victim. At the beginning of the year I experienced a pickpocketing and later a mugging during which I got stabbed on my arm. Both unpleasant experiences.
2. My grandfather died this year after suffering his second stroke. This was really hard on me because it happened while I was writing exams and I could not attend the funeral. My grandfather had his flaws but was for the most part a very loving human being.
3. My little sister was ran over by a truck this year and she suffered internal bleeding and had bruises on her brain. It was one of the most devastating events ever. Especially considering the fact that I could not be there with my mother. After a few months at The Red Cross children’s Hospital and Groote Schuur Hospital, Zenande recovered and she graduated from pre-school in November. If I have ever doubted that God is real, now I know for sure that He is.
4. Missing out on the John Legend concert. I had a ticket but could not go because a friend was in hospital and I had to be there to support her as she had to undergo a second surgery.
All in all 2012 was a year of growth for me(I knew it would be.) I am definitely looking forward to 2013 with its new challenges. I have not made any resolutions yet. Have you? Feel free to share.
What have been the most memorable moments for you this year?
I am @richmondsajini on Twitter!