I am an absolute fan of the latest print craze that has hit the fashion scene by storm. All prints are in. From Aztec to animal print to polka dots. However, with everything one can either get it very right or very wrong. That said, here are Glamour’s rules to wearing prints.
1. Show a little skin. We’re not saying you have to go all plunging neckline on us, but a small flash of flesh will keep this from venturing into granny territory, which big prints can threaten to do. Exposed shoulders or a bit of bare back would do the trick, too.
2. Keep it simple everywhere else. With a lacy blouse or a bold-colored cardigan, this could have easily ventured into Don’t-ville, but wisely keep the rest of the outfit super-simple and let the print do the talking.
3. Stick with one color scheme. Remove the fuss factor from the equation by choosing one palette and matching everything else to it. When you’re working with such an attention-getting fabric, you don’t need to go overboard with your colors.
- Print shy? Choose a solid color to ground your prints. Try the Skin Print Top with the Studio Jacket.
- Not ready to commit? Wear a printed accessory: handbag, shoe, headband, or jewelry!
- Mix it up! We love wearing all types of prints together – florals and stripes, polka dots and plaids or tweeds – the print world is your oyster! However, we do suggest testing out pieces of scale before committing to them; large florals and large polka dots may not be the best combo.
- If you’re going to wear more than one print (and you should!), choose pieces that have complementary dominant colors – it’s chic and more interesting than wearing just one color head-to-toe.
- Can you wear prints? YES! Anyone can wear prints! Just test the scale of the print on your body before buying; larger prints tend to emphasize the body part they are covering, so keep them on those places you’d like to enhance (and not on areas you’d prefer to minimize).
I am @richmondsajini on twitter! Follow me!